Monday, February 2, 2015

Midnight Baking: Stuffed Focaccia Recipe

Oh how I missed baking! Thanks to the new bread maker I just got I can finally rekindle with my love of baking. I had been thinking over so much on getting a bread maker, but due to the nature of being such a busy-body, I knew I would not have the time to give justice to it. After much thought and consideration, I finally decided to cash in my birthday present. 

Life is so stressful and busy that it is even impossible to have a hobby to de-stress. Yeah yeah you might shout 'excuses' but get this, my bread maker arrived on last Wednesday, but only tonight I got to finally test the machine out. To achieve that I have stayed up past midnight to make stuffed focaccia. (Reminds me of the days I used to stay up will wee hours of the morning to do revision) As soon as the aroma filled the house, I suddenly got pulled back to the heaven of baking, oh, how I missed it!


As I got the time to research on bread maker recipes, I researched around for the perfect recipe to inaugurate my little machine. However I did not want to do the plain loaf of bread. Personally I feel we have pretty good selection in the market as far as plain breads are concerned. 

For me, if I were to bake, I would want to make some bread/bun that is good enough to eat it on its own for breakfast or tea time. Something with nice aroma. Something with filling. With some meat. And some cheese, and oh, herbs and spices!


I have made these focaccia stuffed with bacon before, but this is a different recipe I stumbled across Youtube while watching videos on bread maker recipes. Unlike the previous recipe, this one uses all purpose flour, and yields softer texture.

You Need
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
3.5 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp instant or fast acting dried yeast
3 tbsp butter1 cup warm water
2 tbsp powdered milk  
for topping:
1 tsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 tsp of dried rosemary
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
5 strips of bacon, cut small, lightly fried
paprika
some mozarella cheese
salt &pepper

Method 

1) Add the ingredients into the bread maker as per order as specified by your bread maker. Let it knead at dough settings.
2) Once done, let it rise for 30 minutes.
3) Take the dough out and divide into 2 portions.
4) Take the first portion and spread it evenly on a tray greased with olive oil.
5) Sprinkle/spread the dried herbs, onion, garlic, bacon, paprika, cheese &; salt/pepper.

6) Take the second dough (in greased hands) and pull/spread it over the first layer. Pinch the sides to look the filling in. Brush a little more olive oil over the dough.

7) Let it rise for 30 minutes before baking at 200C for 15 minutes.
 



The additional steps, if I may add, is take the focaccia out, let it cool (but not too much) and cut them into squares and start savouring them as long as they are warm. Pure bliss! What is about bread with olive oil that just lifts up the mood? Or is it the intoxication of the bubbling yeast that I brewed earlier? Or maybe just the aroma of the bacon?

We will perhaps never find the answer, but one thing stands true, nothing, ever, beats the uplifting of freshly baked bread. And thanks to my bread maker, I sure expect to see more of it coming. Till then, happy baking, and please, jemput makan!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails