Thursday, May 30, 2013

Creamy Butter Prawn With Spinach

I tried making this creamy butter prawn sometime last year when I first got my Happy Call Pan. At that time I followed the recipe from the Munch Ministry, except the salted egg yolks. I remember how creamy and absolutely yummy it was.

I had made a mental note to try this again, but this time I wanted to have more Indian spices in. Since I am mostly cooking one dish meals, I also I wanted to add in the green vegetable factor, the spinach. One thing I have discovered is that spinach goes well into most curry like dishes. You either put it in to stir fry before you make the gravy, else add in later, because its wilts away pretty fast. You also have a choice of chopping it fine, or leaving the leaves as it is.


While googling for a different recipe for inspiration, I came across this Steamy Kitchen blog on  how to prepare prawns with the bouncy bite, regardless of whether its fresh or frozen. Definitely great tips for prawn lovers out there.

As always, my supply of prawn was kinda underestimated. Its not my fault that the head and shells take so much of the package space. So the innovative me chopped some fish & soy pieces and added them together with the prawn, into the curry. You can omit it if you want.

You need:

1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, grated
2 tbsp butter       
500g prawn, shell and head removed
half can of evaporated milk
spinach, chopped
baby tomatoes, cut half
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
a little sprinkle of nutmeg powder
half tsp turmeric
half tbsp curry powder
half cup of water
salt and pepper

For marinade:
salt, pepper and corn flour

Method:
1) Marinate the prawns with the ingredients for 1-2 hours. You can almost see the prawns plumped up once marination time is over.
2) Fry the prawn in a lightly oiled pan till pink and set aside.
3) Heat up the pan and put in the butter, and sautee the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
4) Add in the cumin, coriander, turmeric and curry powder. Give it a stir and smell the aroma. It would start drying up a little. Add in half cup of water and let it cook to a boil.
5) Add in the spinach leaves, and season with salt, pepper and ground nutmeg. Cook for 5 minutes.
6) Pour in the evaporated milk and let it cook further and reduce into thicker gravy.
7) After 10 minutes, you can add in the prawn. And it is ready to be served in 5 minutes!




I served it with some angel hair pasta, because I love the fact that it cooks so much faster than other pastas. And some roasted cashew nut on the side, because I am feeling generous. 


It is so creamy and rich to the taste. I wonder why don't we use evaporated milk more often in all dishes. It just makes anything so rich and sexy! Alright, back to reality, no we cannot have evaporated milk in everything if we want to take care of our waistline. Oh well, once in a while won't hurt!

This is also one of my secret as to how I get hubby to eat his spinach. No, no, popeye the sailorman trick doesn't do it anymore!

Happy trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails