Thursday, May 29, 2014

Butterscotch And Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

As I have been busy baking buns, it is a while since I baked any sweet treats for us. The boys are having school holidays so it also turns out to be a fun activity to get them involved in mixing the batter, sprinkling extra chocolate chips, popping some chocolate chips into their mouth and then licking the spatula clean.


The cookies might look or sound like the usual chocolate chip cookies, but they are definitely not. I have always been intrigued with the idea of baking oatmeal type of cookies. Or rather compelled to look into at least one healthy ingredient to cancel out the usage of butter and sugar.

I had found this recipe on the Joy Of Baking and I kinda got the basic idea. And then I took a leap of faith and did some amendments, added something, reduced the sugar and chips, hoping to get desired effect.

You Need: 
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar (or you can mix equal portions of white and brown sugar)
1 egg
1 cup flour
2 tbsp dessicated coconut
2 tbsp instant oats
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup chocolate chips
pinch of salt 
Method:  
1) Whisk the butter till creamy. Then add sugar (brown & white) and whisk some more. Whisk in the egg, and then add the vanilla, whisk until incorporated.
2) In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, dessicated coconut and oats together.
3) Add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Divide into two equal portions.
4) Add chocolate chips in one portion. And add butterscotch chips into the other. Mix well.
5) Refrigerate for 30 mins to 2 hours.
6) Scoop about 1.5 to 2tbsp for each cookie and arrange on a prepared baking tray.
7) Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for 10-15minutes.
I just love love the butterscotch chips, it not just gives you an extra taste, but also this very comfort aroma, perhaps very buttery? You can actually skip the part where I divided the batter into two portions and go ahead to mix both the different chips into every cookie, it tastes pretty wicked that way too! Yes, tried and ate that.

I chose to refrigerate the batter because it hardens the batter, and after that you can just roll it with your hands and arrange them on the baking tray. This also gives thicker cookies. If you skip chilling the batter then the cookies will spread out more and be flatter.

The result is crunchy in the outside, nice and chewy in the inside. Having oats and the dessicated coconut also gives a nice texture in the inside. Almost reminds me of the Quaker honey oat biscuits I love to buy. My best cookie by far, and for something I tried after so long, feeling kinda proud of myself. I can't help myself popping one cookie into my mouth every time I see the jar. That's my vice, I can dodge chocolate or ice cream, but cannot say no to a good buttery cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails